With the recent purchase of the Gaggia Gelatiera Ice Cream maker, one of the first batches of ice cream to make would be the Matcha Green Tea ice cream. We are lovers of Matcha Green Tea and this was a no brainer.
We basically used a Vanilla ice cream recipe as a base to make a nice creamy and smooth ice cream.
- Ice Cream Machine
- Matcha Green Tea Powder (Example uses Bloom Teas)
- Cream or Double Cream
- Vanilla extract or pod
- Egg Yolks
- Start by splitting out the egg yolks and mix with sugar in a bowl or pan
- In a separate pan heat milk, cream and vanilla extract to near boil on a low heat
- Add Matcha Green Tea Powder to the heated milk – add to taste
- Mix the Matcha milk mixture with the eggs and sugar
- Cool for 30minutes
- Add to Ice Cream Machine
- Wait till your machine has finished preparing the ice cream
Make sure you mix the Matcha Green Tea Powder fully as it can get very clumpy. The more you add, the better and stronger the taste will be. Especially to counteract the sweetness from the amount of sugar you put into the mix. The recipe gave me a nice smooth ice cream that is very rich in green tea. You get hit by the bitterness of the matcha powder aftertaste, which makes you indulge in another spoon full of ice cream. Very addictive and more-ish.